Budding Entrepreneurs At Work

Budding Entrepreneurs At Work

Thursday 27 September 2012

What's in a name... really?

Having a lot of time on my hands was actually a good thing. (Although I think my daughter would say otherwise about her over eager, hovering and nagging mom. But hey, who else would get her to clean up her room, remind her to stretch and do her ballet exercises, and get in those extra few assessments into her already super packed schedule?) It allowed me to think clearly about what my next steps as an entrepreneur needed to be. And first thing on the agenda was that an important decision had to be made about how my new business venture was to be named. 'A name after all is just a name' you say? Well... not really because it's about giving the business a personality, isn't it? And I really wanted it to be a reflection of me as well.

Obviously not having a strategic planner on my payroll meant that I'd have to come up with a brilliant name myself. It had to speak volumes without being overbearing. It couldn't be too kiddie-ish or too bookish either. My brains were suddenly so overwhelmed that it felt like it would implode. So rather than just screaming my head off over such a small teensy matter, I did the next best thing... consult someone smarter (and calmer) than me. So we talked through the ones I had already come up with, slowly striking them off one by one, when suddenly she turns to me and asks me the most simple of questions- "what does this mean to you?"

"I want it to be the happiest thing that I do and would want to do till the day that I wouldn't be able to do it any more." I hear myself say. "A joyful journey for the rest of my life" I continued dramatically, coupled with waving of hands for added effect, which resulted in much rolling of eyeballs from my smarter and less dramatic friend. Then it came - Joyful Learning Path or JLP for short. It held so much meaning for me. This was going to be a learning journey for me as much as it would be for the people that I encounter through the programmes I'd offer. And it contained my initials too, which gave it a personal touch.

We gave each other high fives and hugs before reaching for the computer to register the name in ACRA, only to find out that the name was already taken. Sigh... but I still wanted it and so added a C for Centre, since it would be a centre for learning, perhaps a centre for like-minded people to network, and undoubtedly it will be the centre of my life... ok I'll stop here otherwise I'll let in on how corny I can get when inspired... and there you go... with a couple of clicks of my mouse button and a credit card payment, JLPC Consultancy was born.

So now my main offering is Kids Invent! but I'm hoping that in due time, the business will extend its programs to reach out to wider audiences, including kids of all ages with special needs and corporate training programs for the young at heart.

Who knows what the future holds for JLPC Consultancy and me? What is certain though, it's going to be an experience of a lifetime.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment